Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Top of Europe

A few posts back I mentioned I was going to be doing some travelling while on sabbatical this fall. I hinted at  three destinations. I've since added a fourth. Sometimes there are places you know you've always wanted to see. My wife always wanted to visit Japan. I always thought I'd like to see Tahiti. We've been fortunate enough to accomplish both of those.

Sometimes you don't even know about a place, but when you learn of it, you know you want to go there. This is one of those. It's called the Jungfraujoch and sits over 11,000 feet amidst the peaks of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau in the Swiss Alps.

Matt Lauer went there in 2011:


Contestants of the Amazing Race went there in 2012:


And I'm planning to go there in 2013. As part of my 3rd planned trip this fall, I will spend a couple of days in the Swiss mountain town of Grindelwald, and if the weather cooperates I will fulfill my desire to visit the Top of Europe.

Take a look at this zoomable Gigapixel view:

No comments: